Tuesday 20 May 2008

More Quick Reviews

Two more books have been read from my 888 challenge. Yes, I did not exactly finish them all within January. I still have 22 to read. However, I would like to point out that I am reading a whole lot of other books, especially as I can't even FIND all of my 888 challenge books since I moved. However, in reading a few others I occasionally come across one.

So, Billy Budd. It was okay, but I think it would have made a far better short story than novella. There was so many irrelevant details that really bogged it down. Yes, this is the author of Moby Dick I'm critizing. I don't expect you to agree with me, I'm just saying it how I see it.

Insect Ways was a rather odd read. It was in my Maths and Science section, but I could have used it (if only I had known) as a crossover for children's and short stories. It was basically a set of short stories of insects telling all about themselves (and their enemies and relatives) to a small child. The first 10 or so were lovely, and then it got a little old. Some of the later ones stood out - the Spider one was hilarious. Unfortunately I don't think that I can tell you much more about insects than I already knew. Except that lots of things eat aphids and that a lady who used to burn spiders had one explode in her eye and that it was treated with spider webs.

No comments: