Saturday 16 December 2006

How many Children Should I have...?

On Wednesday I went to help out for my school's excursion. We went to see a movie (Open Season - I didn't like it, but all the kids did) and then we went to a park and they ran about. As its the end of the year they were all asking me what I'm going to do next year and "please can you come back to (the primary school I work at)" I told them that I was planning to substitute teach for 2-5 years until I had my own children. This of course sparked more curiosity.

"How many kids are you going to have Miss?"

"How many should I have?"

Here are some of the answers I got:
"None. You should stay and teach me forever."
"Two. One boy and one girl."
"You should try until you have four of each" "What if I have 10 boys? Should I keep trying until I get my four girls?" Eager nods.
After carefully counting the lines on my hand one boy told me that my hands said that I should have "at least 32. Probably 40." I replied that I thought 40 might be being a bit greedy. This is the boy with the rebellious nature. He's the oldest of two and really wants another brother or sister. "But Mum says "I'm Not Having Any More Children"" he says, mimicking his mother's voice. That's a real pity, because he is at his best when setting an example for his younger brother.

How many do I want?
A minimum of four, preferably six or more, and happily as many as God send me!

No comments: