Thursday 21 December 2006

WFMW - Stopping Nail Biting

I'm a little late - but as it's still Wednesday in the US, I'm posting this anyway.

Do you bite your nails, or do you have a kid who endlessly bites theirs? It looks horrible and it isn't sanitary. If you're anything like my mum, you've tried everything to get nail biters to stop it. Nasty-tasting nail polish, tobasco sauce, contast reminders... nothing worked on either me or my brother JW.

Finally she found something that did work!

Get fake nails!

You have to go in to a nail shop and get full proper ones put on, because do-it-yourself ones are more brittle, and they come off more easily. Nails cost about $30 in Australia.

These nails are great - you can't bite them off. So when you put them into your mouth you don't get the satification of biting something off. No matter how hard you bite it won't bite off. So you gradually stop putting your hands even up to your mouth.

You should have the fake nails for at least a month - longer if you've been biting for more than 10 years. Beware of stressful days for the week or so after you take them off - these can trigger a relapse into nail biting behaviours.

This definitely Works for Me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oo, good tip! I've been trying for years to stop biting my nails...I'll give this a try!
Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

I've seen them on you and they look rather good