Tuesday 12 December 2006

Praying for Unsaved Kids

On Sunday after church I went to Rebeccas's/Kallie's/Elaine's house. Whilst there I read about half of Deliver Our Children From the Evil One by Noel and Phyl Gibson. (It's one of Elaine's books that I had been eyeing every time I went over.) It's a very enlightening book, and based on what I have read so far I highly recommend it.

Anyway, this book inspired me to go to school early and pray for all of the children in the school and specifically all of the children in my class. This is not an easy thing for me, as I have to leave between 6:15 and 6:30 anyway. (YUCK!) But I set my alarm half an hour earlier, and cut my shower short, all so that I could go in and pray for the children.

Well, things went wrong. I couldn't find anything in my entire house, and spent about 15 minutes just looking for my watch. I had intended to leave at 6:00, but made it out the door at 6:23. And as I walked to the station I prayed, saying "If You want me to go down and pray for the kids in my class please help me to get to school early. If that is not Your will then I pray that you will help me see what is Your will and help me to do it."

I got to school 45 minutes earlier than I usually do. I spent 15 minutes outside the school building (before it even opened!) praying for everyone in the school and asking that any malevolent spirits would flee before the name of Jesus. Then the building was opened and I was able to go to my classroom and pray for my students individually in the place where they spend most of their day.

This was a very interesting experience - I had some different expectations to where God led my prayers. I expected to pray a lot for certain students - some have BIG problems with authority. One in particular breaks my heart. He not only is rude, and really hates anyone being in position of authority over him, but he says at every single chance he gets how he hates God and hates Jesus and doesn't believe in them anyway. I spent a lot of time praying for him.

But I also spent a lot of time praying for two students I did not think I would spend much time praying for. Both are really sweet kids; they work well, they behave well, they are kind and considerate. It wasn't until school had started and we were doing our work on Christmas (their integrated topic is Celebrations, so it fits in well, and I don't have to be constantly on my guard for 'preaching' to the kids - it's a public school) that I remembered that the girl comes from a Muslim family. No wonder she needed so much prayer! I still don't know why I was called to spend so much extra time praying for the second boy, but God does, and that is what is important.

And because I'm insane I plan to do the same thing tomorrow. But I planned ahead and packed my bag tonight so there (hopefully) won't be that same rush. (Because I forgot a lot of useful stuff, and I had to leave my personal quiet for when I got home.)

So, while I won't ask you to pray for any of the kids (I'd perfer I had permission, and permission wouldn't be granted for those that most need it) please pray for my prayers!

No comments: