Sunday 11 July 2010

Girl, Interrupted

I just realised something very, very important. I am NOT THE SAME CULTURE AS EVERYONE AT CHURCH.

AND THAT MEANS I HATE BEING INTERRUPTED.

So, pretty much in any conversation at church, I'll be interrupted. Random people will come up and talk to the other person about random "important" things, which may or may not be important, but which can wait UNTIL I HAVE FINISHED SPEAKING.

Aussie do not interrupt unless it actually is VERY important (i.e. there is a fire) or to make a point (as in "Creepy boy, stay the heck away from Kallie"). So when I am in a conversation with someone, I do not take interruptions for me. I have in fact told people, "I'm sorry, I'm busy now, please speak to me later." Result, in the rare occasions where people want to speak to me, they know to wait, because I'll blast them.

Aussie children are taught to wait until the people they want to talk to are finished. We even teach the children in care that. BECAUSE IT SHOWS GOOD BREEDING!

So the next people who interrupt any of my conversations are going to DIE. I shall say something like, "EXCUSE ME, BUT YOU ARE ACTING LIKE A BADLY BEHAVED CHILD. GO WAIT IN THE CORNER UNTIL (person I'm talking to) AND I ARE NO LONGER TALKING AND THEN YOU MAY JOIN IN THE CONVERSATION. IF YOU ACTUALLY WANT TO TALK TO BOTH OF US WAIT ON THE OUTSKIRTS UNTIL YOU CAN JOIN IN WITH AN APPROPRIATELY TIMED JOKEY COMMENT. AND THAT'S ONLY AN OPTION IF THERE ARE THREE OR MORE PEOPLE ALREADY IN THIS CONVERSATION, WHICH I LOOK AROUND AND SEE - OH LOOK, JUST TWO. NOW GET LOST!"

I'm surrounded by Asians with bad manners.

No comments: