Friday 8 February 2013

Cancer Awareness Month

For those of you who don't know, February is Ovarian Cancer awareness month.

In light of this, I thought I'd post a humourous true conversation about this issue, from my recent race!

My whole family were waiting for the race to start.  My brothers started joking about how I was probably thinking about how to trip up all the other competitors (or at least those who were likely to beat me).

I said no, my secret plan was that as this was a fun run to raise money for cancer, I was going to ask for 5 minutes off my time for being a survivor.

"I'd ask for 10 minutes, but given it's for BREAST cancer, I don't think I can swing more than 5..."

John-Wayne laughed.  "Too bad you didn't have cancer."

At which point, everyone in my famil just looked at him.

"Um, I did."

"No way!"

"Ovarian," my mum confirmed.

"Even I know that," added Robert.

"And he wasn't even born at the time," added Julie.



So, ovarian cancer.  Be aware of it!

Seriously, ovarian cancer is called the silent killer, because the symptoms are typically vague and much like those of other diseases.  If you have any concerns, go to your doctor and ge it checked out!  Don't be a dead statistic - be a living one!

No comments: