Sunday 17 December 2006

What I am Reading at the Moment

The Purposeful Life by Rick Warren
Rights of Man by Thomas Paine
The Rainbow by DH Lawrence

Yesterday I finished:
Classroom Management
Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards

A summary - The Purposeful Life is a bit bland. I've heard a few complaints about it, but I didn't really notice those things (liked lots of different translations being used, it encouraging over-emotion). It's interesting, but as I read through it I sometimes stop and think, "this could have been written so much better" (says Sam-Is-Mad, very inelegantly). Worth reading but not re-reading.

Rights of Man is a HARD SLOG and something that I only read whn I am feeling full of mental energy. That is why I am only up to page 64 (out of 273).

I'm listening to The Rainbow on cassette. So far I really like it.

Clssroom Management started well, but quickly go boring. All of the helpful information was buried under tons of edu-ese. Yuck!

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles was really very good. Occasional mentions of God being the cause of all life, and about the responsibility that we must take when we get involved in genetics. Yet this was completely woven into the story - unlike other books I've read where it seems like they stop the story for a moment to preach to you. Well written and funny. Worth reading (especially if you are between 8-12, though younger kids will really enjoy it too if they can read it or if they have it read aloud).

No comments: