Tuesday 15 July 2008

Review

I read Kelly's e-book "Relaxed Homeschooling". I'm a future homeschooling mother. Future mother too. Future wife before that. But I've been planning to homeschool since I was 10 (for my reasons see here) So I've been preparing for quite a while.

Overall, I liked the book. It was a good synopsis of the reasons for homeschooling, and what is important about homeschooling. So it was good.

Bits I loved:
"Our culture is a noisy one where we feel the need to be constantly entertained, busy or occupied. This same “busy mode” can rob our children of an important part of education. A child's soul cannot grow without some silence and solitude."

"A lifestyle of learning is mostly a matter of paying attention to opportunities. What questions are they asking? What questions can you ask them? Many times my children will ask a question that I don't know the answer to. It can be tempting (and sometimes is necessary) to put them off with an “I don't know”. But it's much better to say, “I don't know...but come with me and we'll find the answer!”
Between books that we continually collect, the library, the dictionary and the Internet, we can usually find the answer we're looking for! Get into the habit of asking questions and finding answers. This is really the foundation for all learning!"

"We make a tragic mistake assuming that the Bible is too hard for our little ones to understand, and thus postpone the daily reading of it to them. It's fine to read the children's version of Jonah and the Whale, but be sure to read the original story from the Bible too."


Here was the few things I didn't like about it:
- She quotes Thomas H. Huxley. The quote was good, but he's hadly a person a Christian writer should be quoting.
- Facts are vital pegs on which to hang other information. Yes, people get over the top about it, but we need to not go the other way and discount them. I don't think that was Kelly's intention, but it could be read that way.

Mostly, I really enjoyed it. Stop by at Generation Cedar and buy the e-book.

No comments: