Sunday 6 January 2008

Book Reviews

Well, I've been doing a little reading recently. I'm more or less on track to read all of my 57 books by the end of January. Of course, it's difficult to tell for sure so early in the month, but as I'm reading about two most days, that's about right.

So, which books have I read so far, and what do I recommend?
Queen Zixi of Ix: completely awesome. It's by the author of The Wizard of Oz. Now, as most of you who have talked to me about this author, you will know that this guy had... issues. But I can absolutely unreservedly recommend this book for anyone that likes kids books. It had a great story, was funny, and was beautifully written. And no issues!

Family Driven Faith: I liked this a lot. It was very informative.

The True Story of Noah's Ark. I actually learnt a lot from this book, although it is a picture story book. Ark doesn't mean boat - it means box. Which explains something I always wondered about, which was why the Ark of the convenant was clearly not a boat. Apparently it was so stable that it could turn up to 90 degrees in any direction and still right itself. God really knows how to build boats! I didn't buy the book (as it was I spent more than $65 on books that day - hey, it was a sale) but I do plan on getting it at a later date.

These were probably the best of the books that I've read so far. I've also read Imperium, which was okay, and The Twelve Days of Christmas, which was beautifully illustrated. I also read the Glen Eira 2003 short story book, which was NOT very good. Two or three of the stories were good. The rest were not.

So, that's the books for the moment!

No comments: