Thursday 10 January 2008

Book Reviews

Arms and the Man was Shaw at his not quite best (for who could go past Pygmalion - My Fair Lady to all you illiterates :) ) but it WAS good. If you liked My Fair Lady then you'll probably like this.

A Profile of Christian Maturity was also good. I particularly like commentaries, and this was a good one.

Likewise, I loved A Woman's Walk With God and Beautiful In God's Eyes. They are half commentary and half Christian Living. A Woman's Walk With God is on Galations 5:22-23 (The Fruits of the Spirit) and Beautiful in God's Eyes is on Proverbs 31:10-end. (Both of these are amongst the passages that I'm memorising, which was unplanned for on my part, but definitely nice). I've started the third book (my edition is a three in one) which is Loving God With All Your Mind, and I'm very much enjoying it.

The End of the Affair was also enjoyable. I listened to it as an audiobook, and that made it a lot easier, as I'm hugely busy at the moment preparing to be a bridesmaid.

The Brontes was interesting - not quite literary criticism and not quite biography. I'm not sure that I liked it. It seemed a little shallow in both areas. Of course, the Brontes are fascinating, so the subject matter made up for the way in which it was handled.

That's it, but there should be some more reviews in just a few days!

No comments: