Monday 28 January 2008

More Quick Reviews

Sons From Afar. Quite good. Very well written, but a little PC for me. I often find Cynthia Voigt to be so, so I wasn't displeased.

Life and Death in Shanghai was FANTASTIC. I don't know why I had it in my fiction section, it's an autobiography. It's the story of a woman who was imprisioned during the Cultural Revolution.

The Rendezvous and other stories was also wonderful. I forgot how much I love Daphne du Maurier. For those of you who haven't read anything by her before, you need to do so. Start off with Rebecca.

Mozart and His Operas was boring. It was pretty much all over my head, as I'm not musically very advanced. It won a whole lot of awards, so I was expecting it to be more a layman's version. It wasn't.

The Watercress Girl was good. HE Bates writes better short stories than he does novels. This collection was all written from the point of view of children, so I really enjoyed it.

Rocannon's World. I forgot why I don't like Ursula le Guin. I remember now. It's because she can't write.

Peer Gynt was weird. Very, very weird. But once you get over the weirdness, then it was good.

The Young Einstein
was boring.

That's it. But I should have more blogging today and tomorrow, as I'm expecting to have some time off. Yay for time off!

No comments: