Friday 12 January 2007

Frugal Fridays: Your Own Art Gallery

When I was living in Brunswick I had a miniature art gallery on my wall. I only had one room, so there wasn't much space. But at that time I was enamoured with art, so I decided I was going to have much own art gallery on my walls.

Here's how to do it. Go to your local art gallery (for me that would be the NGV, and its accompanying Ian Potter Centre) and pick up 2 copies of any of their leaflets. Occasionally they will have bigger pictures and even posters that you can have for free (I managed to get three full sized posters - one of The Scream by Edvard Munch, and two of Impressionist paintings). Alternatively, you can buy postcards from the gift shop if you want a copy of a specific favourite painting.

Then go home and cut out all of the paintings you like. You have two copies of each leaflet because there will invariably be two wonderful paintings back-to-back of each other. Then take very small amounts of blue-tack and stick up you painting. If you put them all on one wall then you get an art gallery effect which is very pleasing. Whenever my friends came over they would always be drawn to my art gallery wall, and would exclaim over how much they loved such-and-such a piece, and how clever I was to think of this (and yes, it is my idea, I haven't borrowed it like I have many other ideas).

One word of warning. Be careful which wall you put them on, because blue-tack can have adverse effects on walls. When I moved there were little spots where the blue-tack had pulled off the paint. So be careful of that.

1 comment:

Lady Why said...

Now that's a great idea for this art lover!!