Wednesday 10 January 2007

WFMW - Quick Lentils

I'm a vegetarian, so I like my lentils and beans and other such protein souces. The problem is, its a pain to presoak lentils for long enough. I either forget to soak them (which is bad for the digestive system) or I forget I have soaked them and leave them for two or three days, by which time theiy have gone bad (which is a waste).

But i recently discovered how to greatly speed up the soaking process. Put your lentils in your pot, and cover with a few generous squirts of lemon juice. Then add water so that the lentils are covered by about 2 cm of water. Then leave them.

This takes only about an hour, compared with traditional soaking, which takes about 8 hours, sometimes more. Once they have done soaking I stain the lentils, and wash them. Then I continue with the recepie (usually my spicy tomato soup - I love it).

This definately Works for Me. Check out the other WFMW posts at Rocks In My Dryer.

No comments: