Saturday 14 April 2007

Frugal Fridays: Reserving Library Items

If you don't use your local library, then you really must. In fact, in Victoria you can join ANY public library regardless of where you live provided you bring along some basic ID (in my case my student card) and a proof of address (any letter sent to you). I am a member of 9 different library systems, and most library systems have 4 or 5 different libraries within that system.

Obviously, library items themselves are free, and you can not only get great books at your library, but CDs, talking books and DVDs. So check out your library before hitting the video store!

The biggest problem with libraries is that the items you want are not always in, and some libraries are badly organised and it can take you ages to find the item you want. So what do I do? I reserve it! This means that as soon as the library item comes in it goes on a shelf for you to pick up - very handy! If it is already in then the librarian goes and looks for the item for you, and again, puts it on a shelf for you to pick up.

One thing to be careful of - some libraries attach fees to this. The main library I use has this service for free, but other libraries vary their prices. The most expensive is $1.70 an item (so I've never reserved an item there).

Also, this is getting a library item from within the system. You aren't asking them to get you an item from another library system in another town. The item is on their catalogue. Inter-library loans cost money, and always more than $1.70 per item.

So that's my frugal tip for this week! Check out the rest of the great tips at Biblical Womanhood.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Great tips.
Our oldest son is first on the reserve list at our library for the next Harry Potter book, when it comes out in July.

Anonymous said...

We are constantly using our public library. I can never imagine paying for books or cds now. It just doesn't make sense. I try not to be late with returning them, but I don't even get upset if I am because at least I am supporting a good cause.