Friday 28 May 2010

Oh No, I Taught Maryam to Swear

Several of you have heard about Maryam, one of my work collegues. In case you don't know, or have forgotten, she's a very sweet, shy, Iranian Muslim lady who has been interested in Jesus.

Well, Jenna was talking to Maryam, explaining an assignment that she had to do. She had to get a box of random bits and pieces and see what the children would make of it.

"Oh yes, I understand," said Maryam. "Bits of, bits of c-r-a-p."

"Maryam!" Jenna said. "Where did you learn that word?"

"Oh, Sam use it sometimes. It means little bits of things not really useful, but maybe useful."

Jenna then explained to her that in other contexts, c-r-a-p was not a good word, and was in fact, a swear word.

She then told me about it. "The funny thing was, that was the exact word I was thinking, but was trying not to use!"

No comments: