Saturday 12 April 2008

Frugal Friday: Bookmooch

Those of you who know me will know that I read a lot. And when I say a lot, I mean A LOT. To put it simply, most people think Rebecca reads a lot and has lots and lots of books. Rebecca was gobsmacked at the amount of books I had. And then I pointed out that they were double stacked - so I actually had twice the amount she thought!

Obviously, books can get expensive. I'm trying to build up my library att he moment, especially in the areas of Christian books, childrens novels and picture story books. So how do I manage to do this?

Simple. I Bookmooch.

Bookmooch works in a similar manner to Paperback Swap, except that Bookmooch is international, whilst PBS is only US. So I can't join PBS.

Basically, you list books that you want to get rid of. For each book you list you get .1 of a point. People request your books. If you send it within your country then you get 1 point, if you send it overseas you get 3. When you get a book you let the sender know you've received it and you get another .1 of a point. You then spend your points! 1 point gets you a book from your country, 2 points a book from another country.

You pay postage on any books you SEND, and the books you receive are completly FREE.

I've probably spend less than $100 on postage, and have gotten 25 books (with more on the way and more points to spend) some of which are difficult to find, out of print, or really expensive (one book I got which was as new would cost nearly $40 alone).

Definitely a saving!

No comments: