Thursday 17 April 2008

Back to the 888 Challenge

As most of you will have noticed, I've kind of fallen off with the 888 challenge. I'm still reading an awful lot, mostly kids books, but I've largely stopped reading these. But I've got another two that I have read and so I'm going to give them a quick review.

The Miracle at St Bruno's by Phillipa Carr was awful. (Notice the lack of linking.) I can't believe I used to love this series. My only excuse is that I used to be a highly romantic 15 year old. Now I am a considerably less romantic nearly 24 year old. Which gives you all an idea of how overly romantic I used to be.

Today I read The House in Cornwall. It's by Noel Streatfeild, who wrote such awesome books as Ballet Shoes. This is not her best work, but it certainly is one of the best books in its genre, the rather specific genre that all English writers for children must write in at least once. You know, the children-find-a-foreign-prince-and-rescue-him-from-the-hands-of-an-evil-uncle-and-or-dictator. I thought it was fun.

No comments: