Monday 16 March 2009

Did I ever mention that I love Reader's Feast?

For those of you who haven't been there, Reader's Feast is in the city, on the cornor of Swanston and Bourke sts. It publishes more independant books than Borders and Dymocks etc, and a lot more 'intellectual' books than most other independant bookstores. They are a little left wing for me mostly, but they have some awesome books.

While you're there, sign up for their points/rewards scheme. Seriously, I spend about $15, and get a $5 voucher. Which goes towards my next $15 purchase. Did I mention that I love Reader's Feast?

Anyway, they send me their catalogue in the mail. Only 4 a year, and so it's chunky and has lots of interesting books. They recently added a 'classics' section, where the staff review old favourites - very amusingly. Here are the two best:

The Twelve Caesars. Suetonius was a shameless gossip. I like that. Donna.

The Last of the Mohicans. I read James Fenimore Cooper's epic tales of frontier life in my early teens and was totally captivated. Forget literary merit - tall dark silent uncorruptable types dashing about the dangerous woods saving the incompetent and misplaced. What more could a girl dream of? Uncas, my hero. Helen M.

The movie of the Last of the Mohicans is one of my favourites.

No comments: